Monday 16 January 2012

Water Charges

Wicklow's Sinn Fein councillors and public representatives have vowed
to boycott the new Household charge stealth tax as a way of opposing
the unjust tax but also as a way of standing in solidarity with the
thousands of people who are hurting because of the economic situation
and the cuts that are being imposed on people.
Wicklow county councillor John Snell said "The new Household charge is
a tax too far for many people and the €100 charge is simply the thin
end of the wedge.
I was always of the opinion that if the government
went through with introducing it, I would stand with people that I
know in my own constituency who have no option not to pay, because
they simply can’t afford it.
This is a personal decision my family and
i have made and we are very mindful of the legal and financial
consequences, i am not asking anyone to follow my lead but i think its
only right for me to take this stand and refuse to pay the charge"
Cllr John Brady continued "This is a unjust tax brought in by Fine
Gael and Labour at a national level, Sinn Féin has opposed it in
Leinster Hse and locally throughout the state and will continue to do
so. Local councils have no say in the introduction of this new stealth
tax and the only vote to be taken on its introduction was at a
national level and Sinn Féin opposed it there.
The introduction of the
tax has been poorly thought out, exemptions have been given to people
living in social housing of which i am one, however no consideration
has been given to the many thousands of people living in negative
equity with massive mortgages barely managing to survive.
I am not
telling anyone not to pay because i would be a hypocrite to do so as i
am exempt as i live in a council house, however if i had to pay I
simply would not"
Sinn Féin Town councillor Garrett O'Reilly went onto say "The
household charge is an interim measure pending the introduction of a
full property tax.
Its a indiscriminate tax that is not based on
ability to pay. Sinn Féin have been calling for a wealth tax to tackle
the super rich in our society instead of hitting the same people time
and time again. I wont be paying the charge because of its unjust
nature, but that's a decision i have made for myself after lengthy
consideration"
Gerry O'Neill who is the party's representative for west Wicklow said
"I have a long track record of refusing to pay stealth taxes, I led
the anti water charges campaign in west Wicklow during the 1980's
which ultimately led to its abolishment.
I will stand again on a point
of principle in opposition to these stealth taxes, i simply refuse to
pay this charge and will stand along with the many thousands of others
who will do like wise, however i am not asking anyone to follow my
lead. People must make that decision for themselves"
Bray Town councillor Rossa Murray went onto say "I feel very strong on
this issue, i refuse point blank to pay this tax.
I stand in
solidarity with the people who have and continue to be hammered by
Labour and Fine Gael. We have hundreds of thousands unemployed and
trying to pay massive mortgages, then we have the working poor who are
getting hammered by the the Universal Social Charge, VAT increases and
all the other cuts and price and tax hikes.
I am prepared to go to
prison rather than pay this stealth tax, I have given this very
serious consideration and I am fully aware of the consequences of my
protest, something everyone contemplating not paying should be aware
of"
Cllr Brady concluded "Sinn Fein will fight this tax at all levels, it
would be easy for us to jump on the “don’t pay” campaign bandwagon I
am urging caution, that people should understand or be made aware of
the possible full consequence of taking such a stance.
I don’t want to
see the situation which many in Dublin, in particular, are facing, as
a result of weighing in behind the don’t pay the bin charges campaign.
They were encouraged not to pay and are now facing in some cases
nearly €2,000 in charges and the campaign has all but disappeared.
People must make a fully informed decision like the Sinn Féin
representatives in Wicklow have that they may face fines and the tax
of €2,500 if they refuse to pay the Household charge. We will stand
with all others of like mind and will organise those who will take a
similar stance"

No comments:

Post a Comment